This recipe for Lemon Pepper Chicken and Halloumi is a combination of two recipes that I love from Tom Kerridge’s Best Ever Dishes and Donna Hay’s Fast Fresh Simple. Lemon and pepper are a classic combination. The halloumi cheese gives a nice salty contrast to the sauce.
There is always a risk with chicken breasts that they will dry out, particularly when baked in the oven. Somehow, this chicken stays really moist and juicy. The fresh lemon flavour makes this a perfect Spring meal. This chicken would also be really nice served cold in a salad so you could always make more than needed and keep the leftovers. However I would not recommend eating halloumi cold!
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- The juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tsp of freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp. of runny honey
- 2 tbsp. of Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 150g of Halloumi sliced
- Make a few deep slashes into the chicken breasts but make sure not to cut through completely. Put the chicken into a ziploc bag.
- In a bowl whisk together the lemon zest and juice, garlic, pepper, honey, mustard, olive oil, thyme and a small pinch of salt. Pour this over the chicken and allow it to marinade in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180c/160c fan/gas mark 4.
- Place the chicken breasts and halloumi slices into a suitable dish and pour over the marinade. Bake in the oven for approximately 18 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Divide the chicken and halloumi between 2 plates and pour over some of the juices from the roasting dish. Remove the stalks of thyme.
- Serve immediately with a green salad, some new potatoes or this harissa couscous.