This is another favourite breakfast in our home. You can eat it anytime really. It is very easy but really hits the spot, particularly if it’s the morning after the night before! It’s the classic combination of eggs, tomato and chilli. I originally used to make Nigella’s Mexican Scrambled Eggs from Nigella Express with almost the same ingredients, until I had a brunch similar to this. That was served with fries with parmesan and paprika – yum!
You can add anything you like to a breakfast burrito. Think sausages, bacon, chorizo, black pudding, avocado; the options really are endless. I keep it simple to keep it relatively healthy. If you want to make it completely vegetarian, use a different cheese, such as cheddar.
I recommend using 2 eggs per tortilla wrap and because we are very greedy, I make 3 wraps between 2 of us. I don’t like to overstuff the wrap, as you can see from the picture. I leave the end open but you can make a proper tidy parcel with your wrap if you are neater than I am.
Makes 3 burritos
- 150g cherry tomatoes (approx. 18)
- 3 spring onions
- 1 medium red chilli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 eggs
- Small knob butter
- 3 flour tortilla wraps
- 30g freshly grated parmesan cheese
- First you need to make the tomato sauce/salsa. Finely chop your tomatoes, onions and chilli.
- Heat the oil over a low-medium heat and add the all the chopped ingredients. Season with a small pinch of salt.
- Stir occasionally until the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce resembles the picture below on the bottom right. You can make this in advance if needed.
- Preheat your oven to 90c/70c fan/ gas 1/4 and warm your plates in them.
- Whisk your eggs with salt and plenty of pepper – I like lots of pepper with eggs!
- Melt the knob of butter over a medium heat in a non stick pan – crucial for scrambled eggs – and cook until softly scrambled.
- Lay out your wraps, spread some of the sauce and then a third of the eggs on top.
- Wrap the tortilla around the filling and sprinkle 10g of the grated parmesan or your chosen cheese on top.
- Put the burrito in the oven for 7-10 minutes, just enough time to warm the wrap completely. The parmesan will not melt but that is ok.
- Serve immediately. You could serve with crispy bacon, guacamole or sour cream. I like them just as they are.