I know this recipe is something you’d expect to see during the Summer months. However there are days when it doesn’t matter how cold it is outside, you just want something light and fresh to eat. This normally happens to me after I’ve eaten all the butter and cream that I can get my hands on over a weekend. This salad is perfect when that sort of mood hits you. It is very quick to prepare and delivers a big hit of flavour.
There are many variations on the combination of avocado and grapefruit. I originally saw it in a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe in River Cottage Veg Everyday. You can see that here. I have also seen it paired with salmon and with crab. I chose to go with feta as the protein here as anyone who follows this blog regularly knows I love a good cheese and fruit pairing!
Make sure all of the ingredients are at room temperature before starting. You could always add some chopped walnuts or hazelnuts for a bit of crunch if you like.
- 1 pink grapefruit
- ½ a small red onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- A handful of rocket or other salad leaves
- 30g feta cheese
- ½ small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Start by peeling and slicing the red onion very thinly and set it aside.
- Next segment the grapefruit. To do this take a slice off the top and bottom of the grapefruit, put it on a chopping board and slide a knife down the sides to remove the peel and pith. Then hold the grapefruit over a bowl to catch the juice and use a small sharp knife to cut in next to the membranes to remove the segments and pop them into another bowl. Squeeze out any remaining juice from the membrane when finished segmenting. There is a video at the end of this post if you want a visual guide to segmenting fruit.
- Add the olive oil to the juice, season with salt and pepper and mix well together. Put the onion slices into this dressing, mix through and allow it to stand for 15 minutes or so. The dressing will ‘cook’ the onion slightly so that it softens and removes the raw taste from it.
- When ready to serve, toss the rocket or other leaves through the red onion and dressing so that it is lightly coated and place them on a plate.
- Peel and slice the avocado into thin slices or chunks, whatever way you like it yourself. Arrange the avocado and grapefruit segments onto the leaves. Crumble over the feta and red chilli pieces. Spoon over any remaining dressing and serve immediately.