Nigella has a recipe in Simply Nigella for a nice Pea and Broccoli Soup. It looks very fresh and very healthy. This recipe is not quite as healthy. It’s not bad for you or anything, I’ve just used stock and a little dairy. And then I stuck cheesy croutons on top.You can show more restraint if you like.
This is ideal for stocking the freezer for a healthy lunch option. One of my lovely colleagues regularly makes a minty pea and courgette soup and it smells so good in the kitchen. So of course I had to jump on board.
Just to note, I didn’t give a measurement for mint. I’m not a big fan so I like just a hint. Add as much as you like yourself. In fact, don’t stress about amounts too much. Soup is soup and you can make it with whatever ingredients you have and flavour it according to your own tastes.
Useful tips & links:
- To make parmesan croutons, tear up some old bread, season liberally with salt and pepper, sprinkle over some olive oil and bake in a preheated oven set to 180c/160c fan/gas mark 4 for 5 minutes. Turn the croutons, grate over some parmesan and bake for an other 5 minutes or until crispy and golden. Make a big batch and keep them in an airtight container. Perfect for salads too.
- To make a more substantial meal, serve with one of my Crab and Avocado Toasts.
- For a nice party, serve the soup in little shot glass with some crispy bacon, see photo.
- Instead of broccoli you could use courgette or asparagus.
- For a healthier take have a look at Carrie’s Pea and Mint Soup.
Pea and Broccoli Soup
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 leek, washed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500ml of hot stock, chicken or veg
- 200g of broccoli, chopped or broken into florets
- 400g of frozen peas
- A handful of spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh mint leaves, to taste
- Options to garnish, some crème fraiche, grated parmesan, parmesan croutons (see Useful tips & links) or some crispy bacon.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a low-medium heat. Gently cook the sliced leaks until they are soft. Make sure not to cook them too high or they will take on some colour.
- Once the leaks are soft add the crushed garlic and cook for another minute.
- Turn up the heat under the pan to medium-high. Add the stock and broccoli. Cook the soup until the broccoli is just tender.
- Add the peas and spinach leaves and cook again just until the peas are cooked. You don’t want to overcook your greens or the soup will turn a nasty brown colour.
- Put all of the soup into a jug blender or use a hand blender to blitz into a smooth soup.
- Pour it back into the pot and reheat. Add some water if it is too thick. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Bear in mind if you are adding parmesan this will add salt to the soup.
- Top with some freshly cracked black pepper, crème fraiche and parmesan.
5 thoughts on “Pea and Broccoli Soup”
Beautiful. How you balanced all those bacon slices is anybody’s guess.
When in comes to bacon I strive for perfection ?
I’ve made pea soup and broccoli soup, but never mixed the two! This is brilliant! Love the bacon…
Thank you Mimi! They are a good combination