As I didn’t get around to posting last week, this week you are getting two posts. You lucky things! Regular readers of this blog know how much I love a special weekend breakfast. I recently had brunch with a friend and decided to go for a change from the usual avocado on toast. So I ordered Courgette and Sweetcorn Fritters which were served with fried halloumi and Sriracha sauce. They were delicious!
So of course that meant I had to experiment and come up with my own version of these fritters. I already like to make cauliflower fritters but these Courgette and Sweetcorn Fritters have a sweeter, more complex flavour. I decided to make a very quick – read rustic – red pepper relish to add a little spice to them. You could always add some chopped chilli to the batter instead but I do think a little relish goes well with them.
If you are cooking for a crowd, these fritters keep well in a low oven while you batch cook them. I decided to serve them with a fried egg, and some bacon because, well, why not? You’re balancing out the bacon with all the healthy veg in there. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
Useful tips & links:
- These fritters can be served in a variety of ways – instead of an egg, top with feta, halloumi or avocado. Don’t limit them to breakfast either, they are a great quick midweek meal.
- Fresh chopped coriander would be great added to the batter or sprinkled over the cooked fritters.
- Instead of the quick pepper relish, try serving with this Tomato Relish.
- For other delicious fritter ideas have a look at Niamh’s Sweetcorn Fritters or Hester’s Courgetti Fritters with Lemon and Feta.
Courgette and Sweetcorn Fritters
Quick Red Pepper Relish
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of soft dark brown sugar
- 2-3 tomatoes, weighing approximately 200g
- 2 roasted red peppers
- ½ tsp of dried red chilli flakes
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 140g of sweetcorn, drained/defrosted weight
- 1 courgette, approx 200g
- ¼ of a red onion or 2 spring onions finely diced
- 75g of self raising flour
- 75ml of milk
- 1 egg
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ tsp of ground cumin
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp of sunflower oil
- Start by making the red pepper relish. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the onion until it is soft. Add the vinegar and sugar and turn up the heat a bit. Cook until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- De-seed and finely dice the tomatoes and dice the red peppers. Add them with the chilli flakes and salt and pepper to the onions. Cook over a low-medium heat until everything is soft and combined. Taste and then adjust for seasoning and add more chilli if you would like it. Set to one side to cool slightly.
- While the relish is cooking, make the batter for the fritters. Wash and grate the courgette onto some kitchen paper. Give it a gentle squeeze to remove excess moisture. In a bowl whisk together the flour, milk and egg. Add the sweetcorn and grated courgette, season with salt and pepper and add the spices. Mix everything well together.
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Scoop approximately two heaped tablespoons of batter and drop it into the pan. If you are looking for perfect circles, you can always put the batter into chef rings in the pan and remove the rings once the shape is set.
- Fry for a few minutes on each side until set and golden brown. When they are cooked, drain on some kitchen paper and if needed keep them warm in a low oven while you finish cooking the rest.
- Serve warm with eggs, feta, bacon….whatever takes your fancy!